- HomeownershipSF makes the home buying process easier for first-time homebuyers by combining information on special assistance programs, workshops, one-on-one counseling and affordable homes and loans on its website - in one convenient online location. With easy access to this high-quality information, HomeownershipSF helps diverse and underserved households buy affordable homes in San Francisco.
- HomeownershipSF, in partnership with its HUD approved member agencies and other community partners, coordinates and facilitates workshops for distressed homeowners in San Francisco with panels of professionals that offer guidance in avoiding foreclosure. Additionally, it provides free counseling services through its member agencies and educational materials/links to local and national resources on its website. These services are provided to help homeowners know their options and take action, while stressing the importance of avoiding potential scam artists.
HomeownershipSF helps diverse and underserved households achieve and sustain homeownership in San Francisco through a coordinated network of member organizations.
HomeownershipSF was founded in 2009 and is currently comprised of five local nonprofit housing organizations:
- Asian, Inc.
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS) of San Francisco
- Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA)
- San Francisco Housing Development Corporation (SFHDC) and
- San Francisco Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center (SFLGBT Center)
All of its member agencies specialize in homeownership services and are approved by the San Francisco Mayor's Office of Housing (MOH) to provide the homebuyer education class and one-on-one counseling session required in order to benefit from all of MOH's first-time homebuyer programs.
Carlos Serrano-Quan, Executive Director
Carlos has extensive leadership experience with nonprofit organizations and government human services. His expertise includes strategic planning and operational execution in a wide array of social impact organizations. Carlos is an inspirational communicator with specialization in building teams and coalitions to achieve a shared mission. Carlos is the former executive director of Chinese Newcomers Service Center (CNSC) and is the former executive director of Community Youth Center (CYC). Carlos was the former Senior Director of Marketing for the American Diabetes Association, working on national Diabetes awareness, and educational initiatives. Carlos also served as Goodwill Industries' Director of People Services, managing over a team of 30 and creating opportunities for hard-to-employ participants. Carlos has also served as a commissioner of the San Francisco Department of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS). He has also served as a member of the San Francisco Department of Youth and Families Community Advisory Committee (CAC). Carlos has also served on the government affairs committee of the San Francisco Association of Realtors.
Shannon Way, Program Manager
Shannon is dedicated to empowerment through financial education. She ran a successful real estate business for ten years where she offered free community classes on money management, real estate investment and navigating local homebuyer assistance programs. She transitioned into the non profit sector in 2011 to expand her role as an advocate for affordable housing and help increase access to financial resources for low and moderate income Bay Area residents. Shannon played an integral role in developing the SF LGBT Community Center's First Time Homebuyer Program. She provided individual homebuyer and credit counseling, lead workshops for future home owners, and administrated Lending Circles- a credit building micro loan made in partnership with Mission Asset Fund. Shannon served as Secretary on the Homeownership SF Board of Directors from 2011-2013, and on the Oakland Affordable Housing Task Force in 2007.
Funding Partners and Supporters of HomeownershipSF
- Bank of America
- Fidelity National Financial
- JP Morgan Chase
- National Federation of Community Development Credit Unions
- NeighborWorks America
- San Francisco Mayor's Office of Housing/CDBG
- San Francisco Foundation
- US Bank
- Walter and Elise Haas Fund
- Wells Fargo/Wachovia
Individual Donors/Supporters – Friends of HomeownershipSF who donate their time, talent and/or financial support:
Esteemed HomeownershipSF Board Members
- Rafael O. Morales, San Francisco Foundation (HSF Board Chair)
- Myrna Melgarr (HSF Board Vice-Chair)
- Marco Chavarin, SF Office of Treasurer (HSF Board Treasurer)
- Careem Conley, San Francisco Housing Development Corporation
- Rick Harper, Consumer Credit Counseling Service of SF
- Pov Oum, Asian Inc.
- Keith Rockmael, Bay Area Resource
- Alex Nerguzian, MEDA Community Representative
- Jean Yaste, SF LGBT Center Community Representative
- Jorge Aguilar, JP Morgan Chase
Individuals partnering and providing support to HomeownershipSF:
- Kevin Birmingham, Broker Associate, Zephyr Real Estate
- Linda Harrison, Sotheby's International Realty
- Mark Porter, Ameriprise Financial Services